12 Mar Is back pain stopping you from playing with your kids? A Guide to help you manage and 3 actions to ensure your pain doesn’t get worse!
IS BACK PAIN STOPPING YOU FROM DOING THE THINGS YOUR LOVE? CLICK HERE TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT!
The majority of people have experienced an episode of lower back pain in their life. Lower back pain is often a disabling experience restricting normal day to day duties and leisure activities such as playing with your kids.
The main symptoms are an ache or pain and stiffness in the lower back region, sometimes with associated pain in the hips or in the buttocks. You also might experience tingling or numbness in the buttocks or legs and sometimes you can get muscle spasm or tightness in the muscles of your back. Weakness can also present in the lower back and associated areas such as the hips in response to pain.
Nobody should have to experience extended periods of pain and the inability to do the activities they love. It is important to have clarity on the steps to take in order to manage your symptoms and get back to doing the activities you love, such as playing with your kids.
ACTIONS TO TAKE WHEN SUFFERING BACK PAIN:
1. Avoid rest:
– Staying active is vital. It is normal to be worried about your back hurting, but bed rest has been proven to delay the recovery. Keeping moving by having short walks is a great way to alleviate pain and often results in a faster return to normal activities
2. Keep breathing whilst moving and avoid bracing with you stomach muscles:
– Especially when the pain is acute and sharp it is easy to tense up and hold your breath. This behavior instead of helping the situation may actually make it worse. In fact, tensing up and breath holding increases the compression forces on the back often leading to worsening symptoms.
3. Reduce the time/break up the time playing with your kids:
– A great way to continue to play with your kids and manage your back is by allocating 10-15 minute blocks of play time mixed in with a drinks break for 2-3 minutes. This is a great way to not overdo loading and can help ensure symptoms begin to settle and are not aggravated.
We know that not being able to do what we love can be frustrating and annoying. This is the reason why at Stride Physiotherapy and Health Group we focus on finding solutions to get you back as quick as possible to the activities that are important to you.
CLICK HERE TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT AND GET THE HELP YOU DESERVE TODAY!
After a thorough assessment of your movements, you will receive a clear step by step action plan to manage your back pain. An exercise plan with targeted exercises that will help to improve your mobility, strength and function level will often be provided with clear guidance on the steps to take in order to go back to your desired activities, such as playing with your kids.
If you would like further help regarding managing an injury or would like to make a time to see a one of our Physiotherapists. Do not hesitate to contact us at:
Phone: (03) 8692 7281